Kings, Guys & St Thomas'
KCH/GSTT Joint MIS/Laparoscopic Colorectal Training Centre
Flexible training programmes tailored to individual learning needs
OVERVIEW OF TRAINING PROGRAMME
The Training Centre offers a structured but flexible training programme tailored to meet your individual needs. However, prior to commencement of the training programme held at KCH/GSTT, you will need to participate in a Cadaveric Course that are currently available at Newcastle, Bristol and Nottingham.
RECRUITMENT ONTO THE PROGRAMME
- The Central Coordinating Office based at Hull will assess your suitability for the course and offer a training place if you meet the short listing criteria.
- Upon confirmation from Hull that you have been accepted onto the National Training Programme, KCH/GSTT will send you an operating timetable and ask you to complete a very short application form that will allow you to specify the days of the week you’re available for training, details of patient case mix on your waiting list and an outline of the laparoscopic operating facilities you have at your hospital.
- You will also be sent paperwork in order to obtain health clearance and an honorary contract.
- Upon receipt of your completed paperwork, you will be invited to a meeting with the appropriate trainer to discuss level of support offered to you by your employer, your training needs and develop an individual training plan.
OUR SURGEONS & EXPERTISE
We have a strong team of experienced colorectal surgeons, some with significant experience in laparoscopic surgery & training. We are also a RCS accredited centre for delivering all levels of laparoscopic training.
Across the KCH/GSST sites we have the following facilities to facilitate training in MIS/Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery:
- Fully equipped state of the art, high definition laparoscopic theatres with Storz OR1s and integrated audio visual and video conferencing networks.
- Hardwired 2 way sound and vision audio visual links between operating theatres and various teaching rooms to accommodate both large and small groups.
- Availability of Endoassist and daVinci robots.
- Fully equipped skills training unit including lap simulators, laparoscopic instruments etc.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER
- Flexible training days.
- A named person for all communication between the Training Centre and you.
- Attractive workload opportunities, including the ability to train in complex left sided cases (rectal cancer, complex colocervical/ colovaginal fistula, laparoscopic restorative proctocolectomy).
- Transanal Endoscopic Micro Surgery (TEMS).
- Enhanced recovery programme tailored to laparoscopic surgery.
- Training for the whole theatre team. We have trained theatre staff with a long experience of laparoscopic surgery.
- Multidisciplinary laparoscopic team with Urology/Gynaecology.
- Opportunities to attend a live tissue wet lab course in Denmark.
Your trainer will agree a training plan with you that will identify the details and numbers of cases that you will:
- Need to observe
- Bring to the training centre
- Operate on under supervision within your own hospital The plan will set out dates/times and venues for all observations, operations and meetings with your educational supervisor. The training plan will be updated at each meeting to ensure it accurately reflects your on-going learning needs.
You will be expected to keep a log book of all operations including component parts, of cases that you have observed as well as those that you have performed under supervision.
You will have a named Educational Supervisor (usually the main trainer) who will provide regular and constructive feedback on your progress. Meetings with your Educational Supervisor will take place at the times agreed in your training plan. These will provide an opportunity to reflect on practice and discuss cases, identify areas that are going well, and areas for further development.
In accordance with the process as identified by the National Training Committee.
For an application form, please contact:
Unit 7, Scott Building
Tamar Science Park
Tel: 01752 439844
Fax: 01752 315053
For more information about the training
programme at KCH/GSTT, please contact:
Clinical Development Manager
Division of Critical Care & Surgery
3rd Floor Hambleden Central Block
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Tel: 020 3299 2579
Fax: 0203 299 3719